Sunday, June 29, 2008

Indianapolis, IN

Don't you love it when you have one of those days that goes exactly according to plan? I kinda wish I had a few of those. :)

Joking aside, though, it went pretty close to plan compared to how things have gone lately. I started a little later than I intended, but I made up almost an hour on the road, which negated that loss. When I got to the operating center, apparently the hole in the roof was too large for a simple plug and needed a full-size patch welded on, among lots of other repairs, which would have cost me at least six hours. However, I called operations and they assigned me a different empty, which meant I was out of there even faster than I expected. I lost most of that time dealing with the shipper, though; the female at the guard shack was exceptionally rude and the facility was difficult to maneuver. I made a quick stop for a snack on the way here and ended up arriving here at the operating center more or less on schedule.

I'm currently waiting in line to get a couple of tires replaced on the trailer, then going to take my 10 hour break here. I'm not sure when I'll leave in the morning yet, but it will probably be fairly early. I'll drive into Pennsylvania, take a break at whatever truck stop I come across when I'm running out of hours. That will leave me anywhere between one and four hours to go in the morning and presumably just enough time to make it to the Carlisle OC.

There's just one problem left that I can't get repaired here in Indianapolis: my air conditioning. It broke yesterday morning and now blows exceptionally hot no matter what I set the temperature dial to. But if I put it in the shop here at Indy it would be at least Wednesday before they got to it and it's unlikely I'd get paid for the downtime. If I get routed to Carlisle, I might be able to get paid (and reimbursed for a hotel), but I don't know anyone there so it would be a very boring 34+ hours. And in both cases, I'll delay getting home, though I might need a 34 hour break anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

No comments:

Post a Comment