Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pharr, TX - How low can I go?

Today was a very long... waiting game. I made the delivery at about 9 o'clock this morning, then drove back to a truck stop less than a mile away. While I was making that delivery, I got a message asking me about directions for the next load... but then I never got the rest of my work assignment. So I waited about an hour before I sent in a message asking what was going on. I got a response nearly an hour after that explaining that they had a load ready for me but they couldn't find any empty trailers, so they would have to wait until some empties were available. So I waited. And waited. Then waited some more. I finally got tired of waiting and sent in asking them to update me with some new information; they finally told me to just bobtail down there and that customer service would work out all the details.

So, I proceeded down there. However, there's one thing that I hadn't accounted for: batshit crazy Mexican drivers. Of the people on US 83, about a third were driving reasonably, a third were doing at least 10 under the speed limit, and a third seemed intent on trying to cause accidents. I counted three separate times where someone passed over a double yellow line, two of those three nearly resulting in a head-on collision. I tried to pass one of the slowpokes, only to have him speed up, then slow down once I slowed down to try and get back into the right lane, all while another rig approached. Ultimately, I had to force the idiot onto the shoulder of the road to avoid a collision; I know that wasn't necessarily the best solution, but at least nobody was hit.

At least I made it down here. The place I picked up the load from handed me the paperwork, told me to go across the street to get the trailer, and said they had no problem with me taking my break here. So I get here, do my pre-trip... and find that one tire is just about shot. It's badly bulged out and definitely wouldn't pass a DOT inspection. I called maintenance and found out that we do have a tire bank we use down here... one that only is open 8-5. So I have to wait a couple of extra hours in the morning before I take off; I was originally planning on hitting the road by 6. On the bright side, this is directly along the way, so I won't be adding to my out of route. And this load is the second in a row that I've had of over 1,500 miles, so I have to show some love to the trip planner. Now I just have to catch up on sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment