Thursday, April 17, 2008

Newell, WV

Wow, it's only 9AM and today's already off to a miserable start. Though this place was only 50 miles away, it took me almost an hour and a half to get here, mostly because Pennsylvania seems to think that 45 is the highest reasonable speed limit on any road other than the Interstates. Then I had to make a series of ridiculously tight turns to get into the place I'm picking up my load at, then was told where I had to back in to the dock. Their dock is at the end of a street; backing into it requires backing up on a street. Now, their business is the only thing on that block, but to line up for it, you still have to back up past another street, with no way of telling where any cross-traffic might be. They have four dock doors back there, but only one is straight back from the road. one is off to the side, behind some parked cars that would be impossible to see while backing in. The other two are down an alley that is also on the blind side, requiring a 90-degree turn from a one-lane road into these two docks; it would be nearly impossible to get in there even with help. And, of course, nobody at this facility is willing to help at all; the woman down here (saying 'lady' implies she has manners) got angry when I pointed out that most places are willing to help drivers out when there's a dangerous situation like that.

I'm going to call operations and explain the whole mess to them and see what they want me to do. It looks like this place will let me wait, if I absolutely have to (and I do), but I know they're going to call and complain later no matter what I end up doing at this point. I'm not going to do something just because a customer demands it if I can't do it safely; I've already had enough incidents out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment