Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Aberfoyle, ON

A short day today, but still a fair bit of driving to do. One comment I should make is that Canadian drivers are just as bad as people in the US. Given a sign that says "right lane ends" in 300 m or 1000 ft (depending on country), an obnoxiously large number of drivers will wait at least 300 m or 1000 ft before making any attempt to merge left. Similarly, most drivers will do 10 mph or 15 km/h over the speed limit. The only difference is that the major highways (the 400-series in Ontario, at least) don't have billboards all over the place due to provincial laws prohibiting such distractions.

In any case, the driving itself went decently, outside of those annoyances in traffic. I arrived at my delivery at exactly 4 o'clock, dropped the load, then went somewhere else to pick up the empty. The "somewhere else" was a place that seemed quite annoyed that I even came in to the office, but the empty I needed was there, available, and I was out of there in 20 minutes. Another hour of driving brought me back to the OC. I have an 8AM appointment at somewhere about 25 miles away, so I'm still driving during the day, even after I stayed up late as I could last night to try and adjust to being nocturnal again.

As for the repairs I need on my truck, they're just not going to happen. Yesterday, they found that one of the lights was grounding out, which caused the whole circuit to go haywire. The shop here replaced the light, the fuse, and everything seemed to be working fine. But on my way back here, all my signals went out again, leaving both the shop and me very confused. There's nothing obviously wrong with the system, which suggests there's some sort of funky wiring problem or that the fuse simply wiggled its way loose. If it's a wiring issue, it could take days to fix unless the problem manifests itself yet again.

However, I did find out one thing that makes me say repairs just aren't going to happen: the mechanic told me that my truck is scheduled for disposal on May 3. Yes, three days from now. That would explain why I haven't gotten any messages about upcoming PMs, even though it's been about six weeks since I last had one done and they're usually scheduled for every two months (roughly 20,000 miles). Now, granted, my truck is five years old and has roughly 635,000 miles, so I figured they would upgrade it sooner or later, but it would have been nice to get some kind of warning about it. I have no idea how they're going to handle it, frankly, but I presume that they'll simply give me a new(er) truck at the first OC I come to that has one available. I'll write more about that when I find things out, though.

In the meantime, however, I'm going inside to get dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment