Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Indianapolis, IN

Despite driving a relatively short 250 miles today, it's been rather eventful. The drive to the delivery was fairly easy, at least until I had to turn into the place; it was a sharp left turn that I just barely made. If I followed the original set of directions I was given, I would have been left with a practically impossible right turn. On the way out, though, I had exactly that: a right turn that was impossible. As I swung out to try and make it, I came within a hair's breadth of hitting a parked car. Realizing that it wasn't going to happen, I had to back up about a block and take another way out. Even then, I just barely made it onto the street; I came within perhaps three inches of hitting a fire hydrant despite swinging so widely that cars in the left turn lane had to back up.

Also, regarding that run I dropped, I had to call and explain why it was late. I've written about all the details here, but I then had to explain it to operations: that I couldn't have picked it up or delivered it on time to begin with, then a repair pushed it back another half a day. So the service failure wasn't my fault; the weekend support shift was entirely to blame for that.

Aside from that bit of drama, the day went fairly well. I'm just waiting in line at the express bay right now since the fan for the climate control went out. This means no heat, no a/c, and no defrost. Given how erratic the weather has been, this is not a good thing, so I want it taken care of as quickly as possible. It's going to be a bit tight on this delivery, but I should make it there with a couple of hours to spare if I don't oversleep or otherwise screw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment