Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Aberfoyle, ON

4:55AM: Before I left the travel center here, I needed to get a copy of my customs forms for border crossing. Guess where I had to get it done.

The diesel desk? Nah, too easy.
The gas station nearby? Still wrong.
Inside at the souvenir store? Nice try.
At the Burger King? Yes! We have a winner!

If this kind of comedic absurdity sets the tone for the day, it's going to be a long and yet strangely amusing day.


4:10PM: Holy cow, I made it. Crossing the border was so easy that it's almost scary, in hindsight; they stamped my paperwork and didn't even look at my passport beyond the moment I waved it at the guy in the customs booth. So I'm actually at the OC near Toronto, waiting to get into the shop to have my lighting systems looked at. I keep going through those 20 amp fuses for the signals; when I put a new one in today, it was hot to the touch before I'd even turned any of the lights on. If it's something they can fix right away, then great; if it's something that I have to put the truck in the shop over, I'll have to relay this load and be up here in Canada for a few days longer than I thought I might. Ultimately, I don't really mind either way right now; I'm just excited to be up here.

1 comment:

  1. Yay canada! It's a nice country! And the OC up there is nice as well. Hopefully they'll be able to get your truck fixed right away! Having the fuse for the lights be superheated even without the lights being on is a bad thing! And if not, well, enjoy your stay! :P

    Crossing into Canada isn't too bad; usually they will just go over the paperwork, stamp, and let you be on your way. Now and then they'll decide to do a search of the truck; I've never had them search the cargo before. Getting back to the US is about as easy, even if the paperwork portion is complicated. Which it's gotten a lot easier now with only one form to fill out and fax in, and then being told you can cross the border over the qualcomm.

    Oh, speaking of which, be sure you get some ACE E-Manifest papers while you're there unless you've already got some. May not have another chance before you have to go back stateside.

    ReplyDelete