Saturday, January 24, 2009

West Memphis, AR - A little rest for the weary

I ended up starting a bit later this morning than I'd originally planned on; I didn't hit the road until nearly 6:30, instead of booking at around 4 o'clock. Just as well, too; even with that extra sleep, I feel like I'm going to doze off as I type this.

The day was ... not entirely uneventful, to say the least. Things were smooth - though painfully boring - as I went through most of Tennessee. As I got to Memphis, though, things turned decidedly chaotic. I ended up calling 911 to report a mattress in the passing lane, but the dispatcher seemed... just a bit clueless. You'd think that someone could comprehend "I-40 westbound, mile marker 17.4" instead of asking me what the nearest exit is. I was paying almost no attention to the exit signs, since I was trying to focus on not hitting the other cars on the road (who were all driving quite frantically). The only ones I noticed were the ones for I-40, since it does weird things around Memphis.

Anyway, once through there, I hopped on US 64 to get to Searcy, AR, where my delivery was. Not much to say there, though I found I was a little short on time once I left the distribution center. I did my math wrong - I ended up with 15 minutes to spare instead of being at least 30 minutes short - but I was wasting no time to get here to the OC. I got fuel, submitted the empty trailer for repair, found my loaded trailer, did my pre-trip, and then came inside to type all this up. I'm ready to go in the morning now, so I can afford to take a little extra time getting up.

Today I drove over 600 miles and, well, I don't know if I'll ever get used to doing that. I'm getting dinner now, then getting to bed. I'm just glad that tomorrow should be a shorter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment