Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Greensboro, NC - Up to the frozen north

I'm currently waiting to get unloaded by yet another lumper service. My work assignment said five and a half hours; I'm hoping that's a gross overestimation and that it comes out to a lot less than that. However, my next assignment has a rather curious pickup: the load says "by" 1300 but gives a window of "1300 - 1300". The notes for the facility say that all loads are live loads. I'll see if operations can tell me anything on the phone, but I doubt it. At worst, the place allows driver parking so I can get a break there if I have to.

After picking it up, I get to go through Indianapolis. Yay! I doubt I'll get there today - and if I end up taking a break at the customer, I might have to stop there tomorrow - but it'll be good to see the city again. The rest of my directions are rather odd, though: a mix of secondary routes to get from I-64 (the WV turnpike) to I-70, and taking US 41 instead of I-94 just to avoid the Chicago tollway. I know that the New York and Pennsylvania toll roads had a toll hike go into effect a couple days ago, but did everyone else raise their rates too? Is operations just trying to make up for the load a couple days ago where I incurred an extra toll after getting lost? Am I trying in vain to build suspense by asking a long series of rhetorical questions?

In any event, I'm just glad I'm finally going somewhere other than New England with a load.

No comments:

Post a Comment