Thursday, January 22, 2009

Charlotte, NC - Over the mountains or through the woods

... no, I'm not going to grandmother's house as my post subject suggests. Good try though!

I hadn't gotten something by mid-afternoon, so I called in to operations, as I'd been told to do. There's pretty much nothing for today, save for three loads going into New England, where freight is even worse. So, instead, we looked at things for tomorrow. The load I was given was originally scheduled for a 4 PM pick up at a place just 17 miles north of here, expected to take two hours. Customer service called, though, and got that moved up to 8 AM. I was hoping to sleep in a little, but to get some decent miles, I'll deal with having to get up at 6 o'clock once more.

The run itself is just over 700 miles, heading toward Memphis, and I have two choices to get there: I can either take I-40 straight across or go down I-85 to Atlanta, I-20 to Birmingham, and US 78 up. The difference between the two options is only four miles, but I'm probably going to stick to 40 just because I'd really, really rather not deal with Atlanta, especially if there's a risk I'd be there anywhere near rush hour.

Operations does have a pretty good reason to get me out near Memphis, though: since that's my home operating center, my manager has a pretty good idea of what's in the area and can set things up. Specifically, since there are going to be drivers relaying things there on the way home, he'll know well in advance which loads will be coming available and be able to set me up with good miles for Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I'm supposed to call in after they finish loading the trailer to see what can be arranged, since I should have a pretty good idea when I'll arrive at my destination. Hopefully I won't get stuck like this again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment