Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Charlotte, NC - Lumpers with attitude

This place is a pretty classic example of why I hate the unloading "service" offered at a lot of places. They started unloading the trailer, only to send someone out fifteen minutes later to hand me a business card and say that it would be $425 and take at least six hours. Apparently they're going to make me sit here and wait while they break it down, sort it out, and do all the other crap they need to do, rather than simply count the cases against the bill of lading and let me leave while they take care of the warehousing stuff. I find it particularly distasteful that they waited to give me a price until after they started unloading the trailer. I have to wonder what kind of scam they're running here.

After perhaps two hours, they came out again to tell me to move so they could, presumably, get another trailer into that dock. I was also told it would probably be 1 or 2 o'clock before they finished, pushing the time estimate up to seven or eight hours. While I hadn't planned on taking another load today, since my truck is still in the shop, I had planned on being able to get back to the operating center in time for an early lunch, since the cafeteria wasn't open before I had to leave. I also don't have any small bills for the vending machine here, so I couldn't get a snack even if I wanted to.

I'm just stuck waiting for now, I guess. Thank goodness for detention pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment