Friday, March 7, 2008

St. Paul, MN

Shortly after I wrote the last part of that previous post, a state trooper pulled up and asked me what the trouble was. I explained it to him, more or less as I've written it here. Seeing that I was shivering fairly significantly and the temperature was -5F, he let me sit in his squad car for about an hour while I waited for maintenance to get some kind of service out. It was about 8:15 before I got a message saying that someone would be there in half an hour, but since the officer needed to leave, he took me back to a truck stop six miles down the road. He even called the company to tell them this, but for some reason maintenance never bothered calling to tell the service guy; he spent an hour trying to figure out where I was. Apparently all he did was replace the fuel filter, then sprayed about half a can of ether into the air intake to get the truck to fire up. Once it started, it ran just fine.

Driving up here went well; I actually arrived more quickly than I expected to. And while I was told they would "fit me in" somewhere, they actually were ready, waiting for me, and immediately began unloading the trailer. It sounds like they're just about done, actually, which is a bad thing since I don't have a new work assignment yet! I really hope that operations can find something for me in the next couple of minutes, since I really do not want to have to try and find a truck stop around here; I hate driving around without knowing where I need to be next.

2:05PM: Speak of the devil... soon as I type that last part, I get an assignment. Looks like a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that all worked out! Pretty scary when the truck won't fire up, and it's extremely cold! Also glad to hear a state trooper was willing to help you out too. Damn!

    ReplyDelete