Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hazleton, MO

    Today was supposed to be a good day, but it seems like that just isn't going to be the case. I was just supposed to drop and hook at this place, but when I went back into their yard, the whole place was covered in at least six inches of snow. Naturally, since I'm writing this here instead of at an OC, you can imagine what happened: I got stuck in said six inches of snow. Worse, my legal workday will be up at 6:30, long before the tow truck gets here (probably no earlier than 9PM) and this customer won't allow drivers to park here, so I'll have to drive back to the OC in violation of the hours rules. I know I'll have to make a call in the morning to justify it and I have a bad feeling that operations will be pissed about it, even though I can't stay here and the operating center is the nearest legal place to park.

    When this tow truck gets here, I'm going to ask him to stick around while I try to get this backed in, since I have a feeling I'll get stuck at least one more time. Alternatively, I might just ask if I can drop the trailer somewhere that isn't completely covered in snow, so there's no risk of me being stuck a second time, then just hoping I can get out of here with the empty that I'm supposed to take with me. Of course, while I was stuck here, another driver ALSO got stuck in the snow, so I think they might be a little more sympathetic since there are two of us stuck in this mess. At least I hope they are. I don't expect them to let me park here for ten hours (or more), but hopefully they'll be able to give me an alternate place to put this damn trailer so I don't get stuck again.

    And... there it goes. It's now 6:30. My fourteen hour workday is up. Any driving I do after this time is a big no no, but what else can I do? I'll just have to find some creative way of putting this in the logbook so it isn't blatantly obvious that I had to cheat; I might just log it as if I left here at 5:30 or so, when I originally intended to head out. I can't imagine any other way that I can make it look even close to accurate. I just hate having to do that since I know it's going to come back and bite me in the ass later. Given my luck over the last few days, probably sooner rather than later.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment