Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pain at the Pump

$700.00, 170.357 gallons.Just to illustrate how expensive it is in this industry right now, allow me to add a photo for you. This is from one of the pumps at the T/A in Wytheville, WV. Thankfully, that wasn't my truck nor do I have to pay for my own fuel, but I have had one that was pretty close. It's worth noting, as well, that just about everything you buy is moved by truck three times: first as raw materials to a manufacturer, then as a finished product to a distribution center, and finally from that distribution center to your local store (or to your house, if you buy online). And our trucks average seven miles per gallon on a good day; with a heavy load in mountainous terrain, it's a stretch to get even 6 mpg.

While it would be a gross oversimplification to say that slashing fuel prices would solve the economic problems in the US, it would certainly help out in a much more profound way than most people seem to realize.


3 comments:

  1. Ouch! Over $4 a gallon! But yeah, I've been seeing that a lot of places. It's nuts just how bad it can be! I don't even understand why gas prices have to be so high! I understand how they get to be so high, but it doesn't make sense!

    These speculators need to chill out. Seems like every time something disastrous happens, even if it isn't terror related, they freak out and raise the price of a barrel of oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, glad to see you made it back to the US without problems (I assume, anyways :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not back in the US yet, Kilroy; I'll be crossing the border in a couple of hours, if all goes well. If not, then the customs agents ate me for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete