Wednesday, May 28, 2008

West Memphis, AR

I did a complete pre-trip on the truck yesterday since I had been off for a week and found one tire with a problem. Last night, when I brought a trailer in for its annual inspection, I couldn't find that tire problem so I just parked. When I did my inspection this morning, since I had a feeling I'd missed something, I found that three tires had issues: both steer tires had a small cut and one of my drive tires had a nail in it. Turns out, though, that the damage to the steer tires is too minor to worry about, so the drive tire is the only one that needs to be replaced. Amusingly, both the mechanic and I thought the nail could just be pulled out, since it didn't look like it had penetrated that deeply, but it was plugging a major air leak.

So now I'm in the shop, trying to figure out whether or not I should even hit the road after this. I'm leaning against it, in favor of departing sometime around dawn tomorrow, since I could use a day to catch up on sleep and such. If I can pull that off, I'll be able to work 14 hours and still shut down before the truck stops get full, which is always a bonus. I'm really hoping to eventually have to take a restart, since that means I've pulled a ton of miles, will get a great paycheck, and get the benefit of a mandatory day off. Not working today (nothing worth logging, anyway) won't help on that front, but I'll still be getting close to that seventy-hour limit if I have a few more good loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment