Friday, May 2, 2008

Kearny, NJ

Since Kilroy commented that it took an exceptionally long time to get through customs, allow me to explain what happened. Apparently the computer that handles all the electronic customs goodness went down yesterday, meaning my paperwork had to get cleared manually. At no point was I given a message telling me as much; I found out by calling in myself, after sitting at the OC for about six hours. As such, I only got about a three hour nap before I hit the road around 1AM. Driving to the border was rather easy; I was able to drive the speed limit the entire way.

When I got to the border, things went relatively smoothly, considering how much time I had to wait to get word from operations. I pulled up to the booth, handed over my load's paperwork, my passport, and got directed to an X-ray machine so they could scan the truck. They promptly waved me through after the scan; they didn't even bother charging me the $10.75 "customs fee" that everyone (that is: operations, other drivers, and the driver's handbook) said I needed to have exact change for. A bit strange, but I'm not complaining; I don't want to need cash again before I go home over Memorial Day weekend

In any case, the trip went smoothly until I made it into New Jersey. I stopped for fuel at a truck stop just across the state line, got breakfast, then hopped back in to finish the run. Unfortunately, the route I needed (NJ state route 11) was closed due to road work and the detour wasn't marked clearly; I only caught a glimpse of the sign after the second time I made a wrong turn trying to get on the road. Once I found the detour, it was easy enough to follow, though it did involve a series of about nine right turns in a row. The delivery was easy as well; it took me a couple minutes to break the bolt seal using the cutters they gave me, then a couple more to get backed into the dock, but I was in and out of the place in just under an hour. I got a message telling me to go to a drop yard we have, but I found a service plaza at the very north end of the NJ turnpike (perhaps two miles south of where I-80 ends at I-95) and stopped there to get lunch. I also got told I could just take my break here, which means I'll be able to eat before I hit the road, saving me a stop tomorrow.

So now I just need to finish eating, send in a message telling them when I'll be available, and then try to catch up on sleep while I have the chance. Hopefully I'll have a decent assignment waiting for me when I wake up.

1 comment:

  1. That is just insane! Computers go down, and they don't tell you? Well, at least you got through without any problems! Also, sometimes they collect, sometimes they don't. They're supposed to unless you've got a transmitter (which I think only goes to those who cross the border rather frequently) but hey, I'm not complaining when they don't!

    ReplyDelete