Friday, May 30, 2008

Dallas, TX

Today was remarkably frustrating, if nothing else. Things were going reasonably well until my previous post, but from there on things have just gotten steadily more irritating. I ended up having to go to Dallas to drop the load as a relay, as I figured... then got paid zero miles to drive across town to pick up an empty trailer. After that, it was 51 miles up the Interstate to drop the empty and pick up a load, then 51 miles right back to the operating center. By the time I finished fueling, my fourteen hour day was up, but this trailer is due for maintenance and they're working on it now; technically, I can't be on break until I've parked the truck for the night, so this is actually eating into my time for tomorrow (since I prefer not to be driving past about 7PM to ensure I have any chance of finding parking at a truck stop).

Once they finally finish with this, I'm still not done for the day. I have to go inside, take care of various paperwork relating to this relay, and then I can finally park the truck for the night. I'll be getting a quick dinner and shower then getting to sleep, since I want to at least have twelve hours to run tomorrow, much as I'd like to be working fourteen once again. I haven't gotten a new work assignment yet, but for some bizarre reason I have been told to pick up an empty from somewhere and drop it somewhere else. While that usually means I'll be picking up a preloaded trailer from the location I'm dropping the empty, the fact I haven't gotten a message explicitly saying this makes me wonder what kind of crap the weekend shift is up to. And if they're already up to this stuff at 5PM on Friday, I'm seriously doubting that my weekend is going to get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment