Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gary, IN - Faster! FASTER!

I can't complain about the miles I've been getting, that's for sure. It is, however, getting very tiring to have to work three 10+ hour days in a row, which is what I'll have done by the time I shut down tomorrow. If things go according to plan tomorrow (what plan?) I might be able to catch up on sleep a little. No telling what tomorrow will bring though.

Instead, let me recap today: I started from Green Bay, grabbed an empty trailer, sent in my message... and got told to take a different empty. Turns out the blasted thing is out of service for a leak, something that I couldn't spot on a pre-trip inspection. Much grumbling ensued, but I grabbed the other empty and drove north into Michigan to pick up my load. I went the wrong way around a customer's lot, only to end up exactly where I needed to be. I dropped and hooked, then hit the road once more.

The trip down to Gary was relatively uneventful except for a brief stint in Chicago: a Roadway truck plowed into the back of an SUV, blocking I-94 except for the left shoulder. As a result, traffic was at a crawl for several miles. Nobody would let me over, either, even though I'd signaled for an obnoxiously long time to try and get into the flow of traffic; I had cars backed up behind me as far as I could see.

Tomorrow is going to be an extremely long day. I have to get up at 5:30 and get on the road by six, ideally. Then I have to drive as far as I possibly can to ensure that I make this delivery Monday morning. I need to go at least 550 miles, ideally at least 600, and can't spare the time to make any extra stops. If I pull off 600 miles, I should be able to catch up on sleep, but I don't want to get overly optimistic about that until it happens. For now, though, sleep sounds like a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment