Friday, November 7, 2008

Epping, NH - Big miles, no whammies! ... double whammy?

Hooray for 80s game show references.

My situation here in Hew Hampshire really hasn't improved much. I ended up going back to sleep last night after I hadn't gotten an assignment, but put the Qualcomm right next to me so I'd wake up when it started beeping. I was ecstatic to see my assignment, too: 1,200 miles, going through Indianapolis and ending up in Saint Louis, two areas I enjoy spending time in. I also would have had about a day to spare, since I'd be able to make Saint Louis on Sunday and the consignee wasn't open until 8 AM on Monday. Notice, though, that I'm writing about this assignment in the past tense. This time, though, it's not operations fault that I'm off the load. The shipper changed our pick up appoint from today to Tuesday, meaning I didn't have anything there to pick up. And without anything to pick up, obviously I've nothing to deliver and no reason to drive a thousand miles west. It sucks, but I really can't blame them for someone else's inability to even get freight ready.

So, I wait. And I wait. Even though I found out I wasn't going to be able to pick up the load two hours ago, I only now received confirmation that I'm officially off that run. They're going to try find something for me, but freight is always pretty weak in this area, just since it's so far removed from most of the country. On the bright side, I've already earned one day of layover and they already put that in the computer, so all I have to do is enjoy having the extra money on my paycheck. My only gripe is that New Hampshire has pretty strict anti-idle laws, meaning I probably shouldn't turn the truck on for electricity or heat. That said, I'm doing it anyway. :p

3 comments:

  1. They do have some very strict anti-idle laws. But don't seem too strict in enforcing it :P Not to say they don't, mind you. I've not been bothered once however, and I idle at least a couple of hours every night :P Also, rules don't apply if temperatures drop below a certain point (being able to start up your truck again is good! Not freezing to death is equally good!)

    But ouch though, that sucks that your load was taken off due to shipper suckage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a small gas station with a dunkin donuts off the AUburn exit with room for 5 trucks that me and my trainer stopped once. people were idling too, and the place was kinda away from the road, so no being bothered by cops

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's time to Press Your Truck.

    Not funny I know.

    ReplyDelete