Saturday, November 8, 2008

Carlisle, PA - Disarming honesty

Given that I am two days ahead of schedule on my current run, I called this morning to see if there's any chance I could relay the load and take something else to ensure that I get some half decent miles. Allow me to quote my conversation this morning.

Me: "Hi, this is <driver>, number 12345."
Ops: "What can I do for you?"
Me: "Well, I'm trying to relay this thing, if there's a better run available."
Ops: "Let me be straight up with you. You're screwed."

Yeah, when operations is throwing that kind of language around, you know that it's bad. Right now, we have 1,200 drivers who don't even have load, which doesn't even account for the folks that have loads that are severely under-utilizing their trucks, like me. Basically, the entire country is very soft right now; there isn't a single market east of I-35 in which we're oversold. On the bright side, I'm up to three days of layover pay this week: one for being in New Hampshire and two for being here in Pennsylvania. I'll deliver this thing Monday and hope that things are slightly better then. If not, I'll be stuck in rural Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment