Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ruther Glen, VA - Where's the mileage?

As I was driving down the road, I saw a message come in about me needing to relay something, then a "work assignment change" message. The last one almost always means that a load got canceled or something otherwise went very wrong. Instead, in this case, I was supposed to take it to a truck stop to relay it off to another driver, as I posted earlier. When I got there, I found out that he'd only just arrived a few minutes before I had, not that he had been waiting several hours as I was told on the phone by operations. So that's one strike against them.

Then, once I unhooked from the trailer and waited for a fuel lane to open up so I could fill the tanks, I looked at my work assignment and growled at the Qualcomm. Rather than getting something good to make up for the fact that I'd lost 200 miles, I got something that requires me to pick up an empty trailer 120 miles away, take it 20 miles to get it live loaded, then just 109 miles to drop the delivery. Strike two.

I then attempted to trip plan it out, though one thing was almost immediately obvious: even though I said I would be available at 6 AM, which has proved to be exactly accurate, I would have to leave no later than 5:30 to have any chance of picking the trailer up on time. Strike three.

So I called support shift to complain, ask why I was given such a horrible load instead of being rewarded by getting something good, and ask to either be pre-assigned a load immediately following this one or, even better, get taken off of it and assigned something else entirely. They insisted that this was a critical load and that, if I didn't pick up and deliver on time, it would cause factories to shut down. Given that I'm only bringing in a load of pallets, I find that hard to believe that the absence of my trailer would be more than a minor inconvenience. He also said there's freight in the area, but that he didn't know what I'd be assigned and that he wasn't able (or, more likely, wasn't willing) to pre-assign me something to at least ensure I don't continue to get screwed over like this. The only good news that came out of the conversation was that the pick up time isn't critical, though I still need to get there as early as I legally can. Making the delivery never was a problem, since I have twelve hours to spare on that end.

For lack of any other solution to this situation, I'll be calling operations tomorrow while the trailer is getting loaded and probably taking someone's head off. Can you do that over the phone? I'd rather like to see video of that sometime. But if they don't find me a good load - preferably at least a thousand miles - I'm going to have a few choice words for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment