Saturday, October 11, 2008

Baytown, TX - Same place, different day

I was originally given an assignment telling me to drop this load as a relay in Houston, then pick up a load from there and take it to Laredo. However, I could barely sleep last night so I was nearly eight hours behind schedule; I finally got to sleep around the time I'd originally intended to wake up. When I did wake up, I found several messages asking me why I hadn't moved and telling me that the other driver was waiting. So I called in and made a very simple suggestion: have the other driver pick up the relay I was supposed to have and let me continue down to Laredo with my current load. Nobody gains or loses any miles and the other guy isn't stuck waiting for me. They seemed rather dumbstruck that I had such a simple solution to the problem.

I would have continued into Houston to take my break at the operating center, but traffic on I-10 was terrible once I got close so I stopped about ten miles early at a truck stop here. On the bright side, I was able to get dinner (and won a free burger from McDonald's in their Monopoly game) and watch a bit of TV, both things I would not have been able to do at the OC. I'm taking it somewhat easier than I should, but given that we never have enough freight coming out of Laredo and things have been particularly soft the last six weeks, I'd be shocked to find a load ready for me when I get down there. At least, on the bright side, I should have some decent miles coming out of there simply because there are few places that aren't at least a day's drive from the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment