Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Black Mountain, NC - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

I started off the night by leaving Carlisle a little later than I planned, but I made up plenty of time on the road just driving toward Virginia; by the time I stopped for fuel (when I amde my previous post) I had made up nearly an hour and, as such, was well ahead of schedule. Good thing, too, because that fuel stop cost me 45 minutes for what should have taken only fifteen. I've never seen the place that busy; there were even drivers blocking the exit driveway when I was trying to leave.

It's a good thing that I made up so much time, too, given how the weather conditions deteriorated. As I continued south, then east, the wind picked up significantly, until even with a 42,000 pound load I was getting blown out of my lane. And, in the last 30 or so miles, it started to snow. I couldn't believe it, considering there was no snow in the forecast, no forecast temperatures below 35°F, and my dash said 40°F. But, sure enough, the distinctive swirl of snow was on the road, making conditions even more treacherous. For some reason, my truck was handling badly enough in the (freezing?) rain up near Carlisle, but the snow made me reluctant to exceed 45 mph despite the posted speed limit of 70. I got here about an hour and a half ago and, in that time, the snow has just gotten heavier and heavier. It's blowing sideways, too, which makes me very nervous, since I'll be leaving here with a completely empty trailer. The nearest truck stop that I know of is roughly 18 miles away, so it'll be a bit of an adventure to try and get there.

They're done, so I need to post this and scoot. If anything happens worth writing about, I'll make another post before I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment