Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Carlisle, PA - At least it's not New Jersey

So I delivered the load this morning and, as expected, traffic in New Jersey was terrible. The closer I got to Newark, the worse things got. It's quite hilarious now, but at the time it was all I could do to avoid screaming obscenities in tongues at people. Seriously, I think I would have started swearing in Swahili if I had to stay in that state much longer. The best moment of it all? Seeing cars go five wide in a section of highway with two lanes without even using the shoulder. That move doesn't even work in NASCAR so I was stunned to see five non-professional drivers manage to pull that off without anyone colliding with anyone else.

It also took quite a few tries to get my load picked up. The guy couldn't find the paperwork for my trailer, nor could he find anything matching my load number. So I went out to the truck, called operations, complained about the traffic, and scared them because I never get worked up as I was this morning. That five-wide traffic comment made both of us burst out laughing; what else can you do about such insane drivers? I was sent about fifteen different numbers and basically got to go play bingo with that. The shipping office's response? "You know what you can do with those numbers? ... Nothing." Given that he left that sentence hanging in the air for about three seconds before finishing the statement, I was bracing for a typically New York area response, the sort of thing that would likely cause a sailor to blush. It turns out, though, that the information I had the first time was right; the other guy working behind the counter had grabbed the paperwork and nearly handed it to another driver for a different company. Oops. So after all that, I went to their other yard a mile up the road, picked up the trailer, and came here to Carlisle.

As I'm still trying to get back on any sort of rational sleep pattern, I'm not going to deliver this load tomorrow. Instead, I'm planning on stopping in Charlotte, taking my break there, and hoping to somehow coerce myself to get out of bed at around 4 AM. Even writing "out of bed" and "4 AM" in the same sentence makes me cringe, though it could be worse; I had to run today at 3 AM and that on less than two hours of sleep. I just wish it weren't so cold, since I still don't have a heater in the truck. It's ten degrees below average so I'm not just complaining for sake of complaining; this really is unseasonably cold. At least it'll be warmer once I get south, if I don't freeze something off tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment