Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tuscaloosa, AL - All together now

Over the course of the evening, it seems like every piece of information I've had about this load has changed at least twice. Though my work assignment originally said noon on Thursday, it turns out that the actual appointment was 5PM on Wednesday, something that I couldn't possibly make. Even my most optimistic estimate had me there around 6PM and that's assuming nothing went wrong, which it always does. So when I picked up the load, I updated my information once again... only to get back a snarky message telling me that the load had already been rescheduled twice and that I had better figure out what I'm doing before I send in another update. Never mind the fact that operations apparently couldn't communicate any useful information to me or that I kept having to adjust my entire sleep schedule around this load; they expected me to have everything sorted out for them.

So, when I shut down here, I called in and explained the situation to someone in support shift for at least the second time today. I was told to send in another update with my best estimate - which ended up being different than anything I'd communicated previously because I'm going to hit Chattanooga at rush hour - then call in the morning as well to confirm that everything was in order. I've done that, so now I just need to get to sleep and hope that, somehow, things miraculously sort themselves out in the next seven hours. Assuming that I am delivering this load and get routed immediately and directly back to Atlanta, it's 541 miles, which leaves me just about enough time to shut down for the night; I'll still have 237 miles to drive on Thursday to get home. If they have me relay it in Atlanta and just go home, it's 438 miles; needless to say, I'd much prefer this option since I'd actually get home on time.

Of course, every single thing that I'm posting here is speculation and requires operations to have things together. If they don't, I'll be lucky to see home this weekend at all.

1 comment: