Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jackson, MS - Still idling

I've been waiting all day for a work assignment to come in, but right now, 26 hours after I shut down yesterday, I still don't have an assignment to take me anywhere. I did get permission to move the truck up here so I could get a good meal and a shower, neither of which I could do at the little hole-in-the-wall I'd stopped at last night. I'm going to head inside to get a drink then go to bed, just leaving the Qualcomm next to me so its incoming message beeps wake me up for when I do finally get an assignment.

At this point, though, they need to route me back to Atlanta post-haste if I'm going to have any chance of making it home Wednesday, as planned. As I see it, they have to find a load that I'll either deliver near Atlanta or relay at the operating center tomorrow; if they don't, I might not even have the truck back in time for the other driver who needs it. Then, on Wednesday, the only thing I can think of would be getting a load to Mobile or, for that matter, pretty much anywhere in the southern half of Alabama. They could possibly have me relay something at the drop yard I normally park at, though that's somewhat less likely. It's not entirely impossible that they'll have me do something else with the goal of getting me home Thursday and, since freight is extremely soft, there's a risk that will happen. I seriously hope it doesn't, though, as I already have plans for Thursday evening and through the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment