Monday, July 28, 2008

Pottsville, PA

It's only 10:30 in the morning and it's been a rather interesting day so far. I got started a little later than I'd planned on, which made me nearly ten minutes late getting here... but this place is rather significantly behind schedule and there are two people in front of me; even if I'd been on time I would still be waiting to get loaded. It took a bit of luck - and a map from Google - to find this place at all; one of the roads to get here was completely unmarked and I very nearly missed it. Another driver did miss the turn and I heard the lady in the shipping office getting increasingly irritated until she simply transferred him to someone else and slammed the phone down. I then found out that I had to wait and got told to back up into the main parking lot. Somehow, backing up caught the attention of a passing state trooper, who stopped me to ask a few questions. Specifically, he thought it was odd that I'd been backing up, then got out of the truck to look around, then got back in as they were pulling into the lot. This is actually standard procedure for us; they probably said "get out and look" a hundred times during training. Once they established I wasn't trying to pull anything they let me go, but only after warning me not to take off. Once I pointed out that if I take off, I don't get paid, they laughed and walked off.

In any case, I'm still waiting for my turn in the dock. And ... bang, there it is.

1 comment:

  1. Well that's different! Not often doing what you're supposed to be doing attracts the attention of a state trooper! But, at least doing what you're supposed to be doing didn't get you in trouble!

    ReplyDelete