Sunday, July 20, 2008

Indianapolis, IN - Things go right occasionally

Today was one of those rare days where everything actually went according to plan. I woke up when my alarm went off, found an empty trailer, picked up the load without incident, found out that the load was already perfectly balanced, never ran in to any problems with traffic, and arrived here at the operating center just early enough that I'll be able to complete a 34-hour restart before I have to deliver this load. I really hope I have more days like this.

Also, I have one crappy driving award to give out to an idiot at a traffic light. Apparently he didn't realize the "stop here on red" sign and line actually applied to him. The line was perhaps 50 feet from the intersection; he pulled past it all the way to the pedestrian crosswalk. I stopped far enough back to give him room to back up behind the line, as well as to ensure I didn't trip the sensor; I wanted to see how Tweedledumb would handle it. Sure enough, since nobody was on the sensor, the light never turned green. The ramp in front of us got a green light; we didn't. The guy even pulled forward, ready to take off, but instead the cross-traffic got the green. Even then he didn't realize his mistake and kept inching forward until traffic on the street actually had to swerve around him. As soon as it was clear, he took off, ignoring the red light. I wish I'd been recording the incident; it would make for a wonderful YouTube video.

In any case, I'm taking a 34 hour break now; I have a live unload at 8 Monday morning. Obviously I have no idea where I'm going after that but I certainly hope for some decent miles.

3 comments:

  1. Here's hoping your next run's a 1,000 mile run out west! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you need yourself a camera that rides shotgun with you so you can get all the stupidity on the roads these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @vapr - I normally do have a camera, but for some reason I didn't have it up front that day. I also am not normally quick enough to take pictures or video when something happens, since my camera takes about four seconds to get ready to use.

    @Kilroy - It ended up being a 1,160 mile run to Florida. You were half right. ;)

    ReplyDelete