Thursday, July 3, 2008

Covington, VA

Thursday, 12:35PM - I didn't think it was possible for dispatch to screw up this badly, but they've done it. I got here to pick up a load and gave them my information.. only to get told that the load left here on June 23. Yes, that's 10 days ago. I asked them to double check; they confirmed that yeah, that load and trailer number matched perfectly for a load that was long gone. Wonderful. I called dispatch to find out what was going on and got given a second pick up number that differed by only one digit (it had a 9 instead of a 2), but that number was for the same trailer. It had a second number because they had to load stuff from two different mills. So I called back a second time and they just said they were going to pull me off the load and find something else. That was two and a half hours ago.

I'm running out of hours for today and it's looking increasingly difficult to make it home on the 4th; at the rate things are going, I might be lucky to even make it down to Charlotte. If I do make it down there, that leaves me about 450 miles from home, which is a longer drive than I'd like but something I can certainly do within one day. Of course, this depends entirely on whether or not they give me a load going that way; if they give me a load that takes me west toward, say, Knoxville, I'll have to come up with a completely different plan. If I don't get a load assignment in the next few minutes, I'll probably call in again and ask what the delay is. They probably just don't have any freight heading out of this area, but I'd like to find that out for sure and, ideally, get told that I can drive back the 47 miles to the nearest truck stop. I could really use a shower after sitting in this truck in broad sunlight for three hours.

... also, completely unrelated, they just had another rain delay at Wimbledon and NBC started playing "Here Comes the Rain Again" by the Eurythmics. I had to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment