Friday, July 25, 2008

Davenport, FL

The last couple of days have been rather busy, to say the least; I've pulled about 1150 miles. During that time, I've gone through construction, heavy downpours, and seen all manner of stupid driving. I'd have posted sooner, but seeing as my last load - currently being unloaded - was extremely expensive stuff, I'd rather not have taken any chances. I've yet to get a new assignment, though, which is somewhat worrying; they seem to be nearly done unloading me even as I type this. Granted, dispatch seemed to think that it would take five hours to unload it when it's not even half a truck load, but I couldn't necessarily prove them wrong so I just had to go with that estimate, absurd as it was.

Anyway, on to another bad driving award. Pop quiz! You're trying to get to a service plaza (oasis, whatever) on the turnpike. Somehow, you miss the on ramp. What do you do?
  1. Drive to the next plaza and just wait 45 minutes.
  2. Stop immediately after, back up on the shoulder, then drive into the plaza's entrance ramp.
  3. Drive by, stop in the plaza's exit ramp (the acceleration lane), then back up in that lane of travel?
Seeing as I'm writing about this under a "bad driving" award, I hope you can guess which of the three our esteemed driver chose. Yes, someone actually stopped in an acceleration lane and started to back up. I don't know if he got hit, since I was continuing down the highway, but I'd have loved to watch that happen. I wouldn't necessarily have wanted anyone to get hurt - I'm not that mean - but it would have been hilarious to hear the guy try to justify what he was doing to the insurance company and the police. This is the sort of stuff that makes me wonder whether people still have to take a test to get a driver's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment