Friday, February 29, 2008

Tobyhanna, PA

Well, today was one of those days where it seemed like absolutely nothing got done. I slept terribly last night, so when I woke up around 9AM, I put in a message to push my availability back to 8PM, only to get a work assignment with a 4:30PM delivery. I believe I wrote about this already. In any case, I hurried to get up here, even foregoing lunch, and arrived nearly half an hour early. I tried to find a truck stop with some food along the way, but there weren't ANY along the last 80 miles of my trip, and before that point I wasn't sure just how much time I actually had to spare.

So, upon arriving, I was told it would take just two hours, not the four that my work assignment originally had down. This wasn't a surprise; the work assignments frequently overestimate the unloading time. So, knowing I had at least two hours, I decided to catch a two-hour nap to make up for the fact I couldn't get more sleep before I started driving. I went back in after that two hours, but found out that they were only halfway down and had just gone on break. At this point, I probably should have figured it would be another two hours, but I nearly believed the guy when he said it'd be only another hour. Of course, it took two more (nearly two-and-a-half) and I was finished at the originally planned time of 8:30PM.

There's only one problem left: I still haven't received I new work assignment! Since there's really not much I can do without a work assignment and Wal-Mart doesn't allow drivers to park for the night inside their facilities, I'm parked just out front in a designated parking area. At least, I certainly hope it is, since they told me that inside when I asked about parking! I'll be taking my ten-hour break here, then leaving immediately after that, at about 7AM local time. I just hope that the snow and weather clear up by then, since it's absolutely nasty out here right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment