Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Indianapolis, IN

Well, last night was rather a bust. Due to the rather nasty weather, I decided to take a short nap to wait it out. That was at 6:30PM and I thought I'd set my alarm for 7:30, but even though I checked the thing four times I apparently never flipped the 'alarm' switch to on. As such, I woke up shortly after 2AM with a load that was supposed to be delivered by midnight. Oops!

At least once I hit the road things went reasonably well. All the big storms have already passed through here and it was just above freezing, so there were no real problems along the way. I arrived about as quickly as I thought I would, dropped the load, but then found out the place has a policy of not letting us take out our empty trailers! It took the box planners almost half an hour to find another place with an empty box, and in turn I had to go nearly 75 miles out of the way to get it, since the only direct route between where I was and where I needed to go wasn't a truck route.

The detour aside, though, even picking the empty up, taking it to the next customer, dropping it for them, and picking up the load all went well. I then was down to about six hours left to drive, so I figured I'd just drive about four of that, safely shutting down before it was too late in the afternoon to find a good parking space. So, as such, I'm back here at the Indianapolis OC after driving about 400 miles, most of that up and down I-65. From here, it's about 550 miles to where I'm delivering, which is day of driving, but I should be able to get it there with an hour or two left on my logbook. It won't be late until the 8th, so I better not screw this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment