Friday, August 17, 2007

Training Day -2: Last Night in Pensacola

After I wake up in the morning, I get to head to Charlotte, North Carolina, to start training to be a commercial truck driver. It's roughly a 500 mile, nine hour drive, but that's what I'll be doing nearly every day once I start the job full time. The schedule will go something kinda like this...

  • Weeks 1-3: Training in Charlotte. Only $200 in week 3 for living assistance, but room and board is paid for by the company
  • Weekend off... the following Monday I take my CDL test and get my class A license.
  • Weeks 4-6: On the road with a trainer. $350/week. If I don't need a full three weeks with a trainer's assistance, I'll be allowed to drive solo sooner.
  • Weeks 7+: Driving solo, Guaranteed at least $500/week, though mileage pay of 27¢/mi 30¢/mi would be nearly $700 $750 if I drove 2,500 miles in a week. I should be home every other weekend, wherever that home might be.
  • Week 12: After 90 days, I'm eligible for insurance benefits. :)
  • Week 26: Raise to 31¢/mi 34¢/mi, with a $600/week guarantee.

And so on from there. I'll add more details as I get them. For those wondering, no, none of that is confidential information; it's all on the company website. Anyway, as it's nearly 2AM, I really should get to sleep; I have a long day of driving ahead of me.

Edit (2:18AM): I just checked the website again, and it turns out they just gave everyone a raise. The new numbers are above. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment