Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Training #11: Just Ask for Directions!

Morning: Labs and sims. Today's sim involved responding to situations when you get lost, or you can't take your original route. It was a lot of common sense stuff: don't take a road if you're not sure you can safely and legally take it. Ask for directions, either by asking a police officer, another truck driver, or any local who at least has the sense to only put you on routes other trucks normally take. The key point was not to do anything stupid, and I'm generally prone to being overly cautious on the road.

Afternoon: Driving, another 101 miles. I did very well today, though there were one or two scary moments, such as a construction site where the road came down to a single lane and the time I missed shifting into tenth gear at 55 miles an hour. Missing gears is frustrating under the best of circumstances and outright scary at highway speed. Everything else was very good; I'm even getting the clutch and shifting smoothly in most cases. Tomorrow is the last day of driving we have, effectively our final exam, so I really have to nail it tomorrow afternoon. I'm confident I can pass the test.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shira:

    Pumpkin Driver.com

    Nice little Schneider Specific forum. Lots of useful information.

    ReplyDelete