Sunday, August 19, 2007

Training #2: Logs & Basics

Today, we finally started to focus on actual trucking-related skills, instead of merely doing paperwork. In the morning, we discussed logging requirements. Basically, those requirements boil down to having to document every minute of every day, including writing down where you are, for as long as you work for a driving company. Even when I go home, I have to mark down "off duty" in Pensacola, FL, or wherever I am when I go off duty. Also, it's 70 hours out of every eight days, which means I can work an average of up to 8.75 hours a day. I don't think that's so bad, really, especially considering the kind of money I can make doing this.

As for other information, we briefly touched on what to do before starting the truck, how to shift, and various defensive driving techniques necessary while in a truck. It seems deceptively easy so far, but tomorrow we start driving in a simulator, and from there I'll see just how well (or badly) this is going to go. I'm confident that I can do it, though; the instructor said that the thing is just a matter of timing and I usually have fairly good timing. I can't wait to attempt "driving" tomorrow afternoon now.

No comments:

Post a Comment