Monday, August 20, 2007

Training #3: Inside and Out

For the first time today, we actually got some time with a truck. Not driving it - that starts tomorrow - but we started actually looking at the vehicles themselves and will spend most (if not all) of the next three days with them.

However, the first thing we did this morning was a "check for learning" (test) on logging. Then we finished discussing how to drive safely in various situations, and very briefly touched on the things we'll be learning in the trucks over the next few days. After lunch, we then went up to do the actual labs and a simulator for shifting.

I ended up in the simulator first, which was rather fun. These trucks have enough power that you don't even need to hit the gas to get them started from second gear... as long as you remember to turn the brakes off first and end up in second, not fourth or seventh. Yes, I managed to screw up by doing both of those. But once I got the (simulated) truck going, I actually had a fairly easy time of it. The hardest part was downshifting through several gears without missing the gear or stalling out while dropping speed; you can't just push the clutch in and wait or you're considered out of control. I'm pretty sure I'll get it down soon. The instructor even said that our goal is to be proficient, not perfect; the day we'll be perfect, never missing or grinding gears, is the day after we retire. The sad thing is that, despite spending just under an hour in there, my right (shifting) arm is extremely tired, especially around the shoulder. I really hope I build up some strength in those muscles and joints. Most of the exercise I get works my lower body; I rarely do something for that area.

Then, we went outside to do a little look at the engine and the basic checks we have to do before every trip, as well as how to couple and uncouple the trailers. Unsurprisingly, most of it went completely over my head. I'm going to be clinging to my checklist for quite some time; I have a bad memory, and I've never even seen most of the hardware I'm responsible for checking. I've never even looked at my own brakes, for example. There are also a little of little things to remember when doing the pre-trip checks, such as remembering all the short checks for your brakes.

While I'm hopeful that it all will sink in after doing it a few times myself, I'm rather overwhelmed by all the information thrown at us today. It's not often that I say that, either; usually I'm fairly quick to pick up on things. If, after doing it again tomorrow, it doesn't make a lot more sense, I'm going to be in trouble; we have to have all this stuff down completely by Friday. I normally retain something a lot better after doing it myself, though, which is why I'm at least hopeful I can get it before it's too late. I'll read over my notes and such right before bed then sleep on it; maybe in the morning it'll click.

No comments:

Post a Comment