Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Darien, CT - U-turn on the highway

I was supposed to originally make delivery up in Milford, CT at 8 AM this morning. I knew I was going to be late for that, but had hoped to get up there by noon, which I had been told would be okay. Turns out that the place I'm delivering to closes at 11 AM, though. Which is just as well, as I forgot how bad traffic on I-95 in Connecticut is. I figured I'd lose some time, yes, but I didn't expect to find that traffic was moving at 15 to 20 mph along the entire highway, from New York to Massachusetts.

I pulled into a service plaza for both a quick rest break and to find out what I should do about this load: I don't have enough hours on my 11 to even make it to where I'm supposed to be going now. About 20 minutes later, I'd found out that the next available appointment was for the same time next Wednesday and that the nearest drop yard was, unfortunately, the one back in New Jersey. I'll either have to go straight through NYC on I-95 (and, given that it's New Year's, that's not likely) or go around 287 and have to drive twice as far. Neither option is very good, but hopefully they'll get me out of the northeast soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment