Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Monee, IL - It's a new record!

I pulled a whopping 644 miles today. I may have had to round a couple things on my logbook in my favor, but I actually didn't have to resort to outright cheating to make things happen the way they needed to. The trip up to Illinois was remarkably boring; absolutely nothing happened along the way that was even remotely memorable. I did, however, get my "appointment" moved up to 4PM today, from 4PM tomorrow. Notice, though, that I have appointment in quotes.

It turns out that the place I was going to doesn't even allow the kind of load I have to be live unloaded. Why? Because they had hundreds of boxes from thirty different vendors, all loaded haphazardly in the trailer. As a result, they'd have to unload the entire trailer, scan in every single box, sort them out since each box was likely going to a different store, then put the freight they didn't need back on the truck. The listed seven-hour unload time on my work assignment is actually unrealistically optimistic for that kind of thing. So, rather than have me put up with all that, they simply had me drop the trailer. That freed me to go to the Petro up here, where I had a nice dinner.

Tomorrow, I'm going to head to Gary to get my truck in for a PM. It turns out that I really am due for both an A (check up only) and a B (oil change) right now. Why they scheduled them so closely is beyond my comprehension - not even the mechanics were able to explain why - but it does mean that there's a pretty good chance that I'll be tied up for a while. At the absolute best, I'll lose half a day tomorrow, but given that Green Bay had a five-day wait for maintenance, I wouldn't be surprised to lose a day or two. But, in any case, I'll have to actually get over there before I can confirm exactly what is - or isn't - going to happen. Hopefully I can do so before Chicago's rush hour kicks in to high gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment