Friday, November 16, 2007

Indy OC

Way too tired to even attempt cleaning this post up, so apologies if it's incoherent in places.

Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.: this morning has been kind of frustrating so far. I lost my cell phone between a set of shelves and the bed in a crack too narrow for me to reach in, so I can't use my phone for the foreseeable future. Everything else is fine, but not having my phone is quite irritating. Since I wasted about 15 minutes trying to get the thing back, I now have just enough time left to get to the customer; I really hope I haven't shot myself in the foot (again).

Wednesday, 1:18 p.m.: I'm driving to Rockport, Illinois. The load I have next takes me by both the Gary and Indianapolis operating centers; I have stop for fuel in Gary and I'll stop for the night in Indy. Course, I say I stop for fuel there based on the as I have enough fuel to get there right now. I have about 17 gallons left and it's 125 miles. I suppose that it's a good thing that I filled my tanks to almost overflowing last time I stopped; that may well be the difference between making it there and not.

Wednesday, 2:28 p.m.: arrived at my next pickup. To put it bluntly, I'm alarmingly low on fuel; I probably have as few as 10 gallons left. I'll be stopping to fill up in Gary, Indiana operating center if I can make it there, but I have ask for directions first. So hopefully they'll arrive before I have to leave here.

Wednesday, 3:05 p.m.: what should have been a simple drop an empty and pick up the load has now turned into a lie load. This means that, instead of being out on the road now, I have to drive just up the street to get the load, drive back here, get my paperwork, and only then can I leave. Further, the trip planners didn't give me to pick up number to begin with, so it took five minutes on hold just for them to give me what I needed to pick up their freight. On the bright side, I'll least be getting paid for the hold up, as it looks extremely unlikely I'll be out of here within two hours.

Wednesday, 4:40 p.m.: finally, after what seems like an eternity, I have my load. It's just under 90 miles from here to Gary, somewhere to be crossing my fingers and hoping that I have at least 15 gallons left.

Wednesday, 4:55 p.m.: I'm still waiting in line here and I just realized I'll be hitting Chicago right at rush hour. That's both going to delay my driving and kill my fuel economy. I can't really afford any further delays, since I'll already be getting to Indianapolis with just 30 minutes left out of my 14 hours for the day.

Wednesday, 11 p.m.: everything has gone kind of fast tonight, so I haven't even had a chance grab the mic to dictate something. I had to put over 155 gallons in the truck to fill it up, so I was lucky to even make it to the operating center. I also weighed the truck and found it was just barely legal, but barely legal is still legal, so I've nothing to worry about. I got into Indianapolis just as my 14 hours ran out, so I'm definitely due for the break. Unfortunately, I'm much further from where I'm delivering I thought, so I'll have to get up pretty early. Specifically, this place is on Eastern time and it's a 3:30 p.m. appointment. It's also a nearly five-hour drive from here, so I will have to leave almost immediately after my break expires. I am getting absolutely sick of these tight deliveries; I'd like to be able to catch on sleep for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment