Sunday, November 4, 2007

Atlanta again

After several days of running around in Florida, I'm back up here in Atlanta. After making a drop in Ft. Pierce, I assumed that I couldn't go anywhere but north... wrong! I had to go clear down to Miami to pick up the load I have now. This wouldn't be a problem, except that I've been to Miami before and I knew that it was near impossible to avoid getting lost in a car, much less a truck. Sure enough, after I picked up an empty trailer down there, I took a state highway that came to an abrupt end behind a shopping center, leaving me nowhere to get turned around. Eventually I had to back up into one of its driveways and turn around that way.

On the way out, I was running out of hours and felt incredibly tired, eventually forcing me to stop at a rest area. It's a small miracle that it had parking available at 5AM when I stopped, but at least I was able to get some sleep. Driving from there to here was uneventful, though I did get to log 681 miles yesterday, which I'm sure is going to make the DOT just a little curious (practically all Interstate driving, so it was legit).

Today, I'm going to get to Indianapolis and its operating center, then proceed to make my delivery and spend Monday night in Green Bay. Tuesday, I'll finally get a bit of extra training on backing, which I hope will solve the problems I've been having, or at least give me a good push in the right direction. I definitely still need the help.

I'm very, very worried about the weather though. I just checked the weather and there's a decent chance of snow in Wisconsin on Monday night. That's the last thing I need to deal with when I'm trying to (re-)learn how to back the truck up. Of course, that doesn't make it very easy to deliver freight, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment