Friday, December 4, 2009

New London, WI - Uncluefulness

While waiting at the consignee for the last load, I received another assignment, this time to pick up a load from here and take it to a place just north of Chicago. It's not due for delivery until Monday, so I asked if they were intending for me to go to Gary for my truck PM. I instead got back a message saying that I was supposed to wait on the load after I got it, deliver it Monday, then go get the maintenance done. That would not only keep me from doing anything useful over the weekend, but it would leave me stuck in Gary for a day or two after that, pretty much guaranteeing that I'd accomplish nothing useful. I asked for confirmation of that, pointing out the lengthy wait if they expected me to follow that plan, but didn't get a reply before I left the facility.

An hour later I arrived here at the shipper, only to find the guard shack unoccupied. They had a snowed-over sign instructing drivers to call security on the CB, which I did... they had no idea where the security guard went, so they had to send someone else out there. Ten minutes later someone showed up, grumbling about the guy who was supposed to be there, and checked me in. I finally made my way to the shipping office to get my load, but there was just one problem. They have no more loads for us tonight as another driver picked up the last of our freight earlier today.

To try and get things sorted out, I called ops. After ten minutes on hold, I got someone, gave them my driver number, and was hung up on after a brief pause. Then I called back, had to wait another five minutes, explained the situation, got put on hold for ten minutes, then was told that the shipper must be the one that made the mistake and that all we really need is a trailer number. They repeated this information despite me pointing out that there's no more loads at all for us. None. They have no freight for us. And yet I'm still expected to wait here half an hour while they figure out why because the person paying for the load is supposedly going to get right back to us. This is not cool; it's freezing cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment