Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gary, IN - Inside the winter storm

The weather around here has taken a serious turn for the worst in the last eight hours. This afternoon was quite pleasant, if overcast, with temps in the low 40s. Then a hailstorm rolled through, followed by freezing rain, which has left an inch-deep slush across the entire lot here. My next assignment came across during that time: pick up a load from a place 50 miles west of here and take it down to Indianapolis. If the weather and traffic conditions were more favorable, I could have probably picked that up and either came back here or driven all the way down to Indy. Instead, I'll be trying to leave from here around one in the morning, pick up the load, then drive straight down to deliver it. On top of that, my work assignment says this is a full driver unload; I'll be spending two or more hours manually taking down boxes and rearranging things at this place. Once that's done I have to head over to the Indy OC to get my windshield fixed; they replaced it during my PM, but the thing leaks profusely all over my dash so they'll probably have to redo the whole job. I'm supposed to somehow make it home for the weekend, but I'm starting to doubt that's even possible due to all these unforeseeable delays.

No comments:

Post a Comment