Sunday, December 20, 2009

Green Bay, WI - Exercises in futility

Though the facility I spent the night at last night was allegedly open 8 AM to 4 PM, there was still nobody at the shipping office when I rang the bell at eight in the morning. Twenty minutes of ringing and a frustrated call to support shift later, I ultimately wandered through an open door of the warehouse and flagged down somebody manning a printing press; he sent someone to the shipping area to meet me. Unfortunately, the weekend people are just there to man the presses and know absolutely nothing about the shipping and receiving department. After a series of phone calls we found out that I was just picking up a preloaded trailer but the paperwork for said trailer didn't exist. The guy there just made up some stuff, asked me to provide a fax number for the consignee, and sent me on my way.

The trip through the snowy midwest was relatively uneventful. The snow plows in Iowa seemed to focus entirely on the right lane, which led to lengthy lines of cars behind every plow and a precarious mess in the left lane for those trying to pass. I skated by several groups without losing significant speed as I tried to make it to Green Bay as quickly as practical. That went mostly well and I arrived here a good hour earlier than expected. However, the place I'm delivering to is open 24/7 except when they aren't. I went to the gate clearly marked as shipping and receiving, pulled onto the scale... and got nothing at all. Nobody at the receiving department was paying any attention.

Between the mess there and the next load I was assigned - one that I couldn't conceivably deliver on time - I'd had quite enough. I called support shift, told them that I was dropping this load at the Green Bay OC, and called it a night. I'll be chewing out first shift in the morning and telling them that they really need to find some practical way of getting me home soon, because I'm seriously doubting their ability to get me anywhere productive right now. But as nobody who is capable of helping me will be in for another eight and a half hours, that sounds like a good reason to get eight and a half hours rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment