Monday, September 3, 2007

Training #15: Pre-trip and Parallel Park

Today was... remarkably short. I only did my pre-trip inspection once in the first four hours of the morning; the rest of the time was spent standing around and baking in the sun. My one attempt, I think I would have scored just enough points to pass the test, but I'm not horribly confident in myself just yet. Then, from 11AM to 2PM, we worked on parallel parking on the sight (driver's) side. It was surprisingly easy to do, if the truck was properly set up. If the set up is wrong, the parking job turns into a pain in the rear; if it's right, it's just a matter of watching the mirrors for a few reference points on the way back.

I also found out a little more about our schedule over the next week, though I'll want to confirm that with one of the academy staff before I bank on it. It seems that, after Thursday evening, we're released and free to do what we want. We then have to report to Evergreen, AL on Wednesday morning, giving us five full days off. In Evergreen, we (the Florida CDL students) will spent another two or three days drilling on the CDL test before driving down to Marianna, FL to actually take the exam. I'm pretty sure that, by then, I'll be able to do most of these maneuvers while half-asleep. Just a matter of continuing to practice and continually getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment