Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Road Training #2: Behind the Wheel

So, as promised, I did almost all the driving today. The only time I didn't drive was at the yard for our delivery, since the drop point for our trailer was in a really awkward, tight space; my trainer dropped it, but I then drove across to pick up the trailer for our next load. It was easily the longest I've driven the truck in one sitting, but it was a rather nice drive and I think I did rather well out on the road. We have roughly 320 miles to drive tomorrow, so we have to get a fairly early start to make our 4PM delivery appointment. My trainer is saying that we can make that in six hours; I'll probably fill out my trip plan for seven hours, though, since they suggest planning at 50 miles an hour and round up any fractions (320/50 = 6.4, which rounds to 7). In any case, we'll probably be stopping at a truck stop immediately after we get unloaded tomorrow, whether or not we have another work assignment, so I probably won't be able to make an update tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment