Friday, September 28, 2007

Road Training #5: I would drive 500 miles...

To be exact, 507 miles. Yes, one day, nearly nine hours of driving, and over 500 miles. I actually did most of the work today; though the trainer drove from the Charlotte OC to the drop/pick up place, I backed the truck into the dock (though with a lot of help) and drove all the way from there to where we're staying tonight. The drive was rather scenic, though by the end of the night, I just wanted to get to our stopping point and sleep.

From here on out, I should be doing the job as if I were driving solo; the trainer will be acting purely as an advisor and will try to assist only where it's needed. Somehow, I get the feeling he's going to do more than he says he's going to do, but I'm still just about able to keep myself from going crazy after eight hours of driving without a break. I hope that I get everything under control, especially working on backing, since that remains the only thing that I do not feel confident doing. I've dealt with Atlanta rush hour traffic. I've dealt with construction zones. I've dealt with accidents. Heck, I took a detour into a Wal-Mart parking lot to get around a mess on the street. Now I just have to be able to put the thing in reverse and get it to go where I want and I'll be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment