Friday, October 12, 2007

I drove all night...

First, let me just say that having a delivery that requires you to drive at night sucks in a way that words can't fully convey. Yes, that's right, my very first delivery pretty much required me to drive through the night for the last two nights in a row, since there was just no other way that I could possibly have made it. I received my work assignment at 6PM on Wednesday, which told me to drive over 200 miles just to pick up a load and that I had to be there by midnight. Then, from there, it was nearly a 1,000 mile drive to the place I'm delivering. Great pay, certainly, but the only way that I could make it work was to drive down there, get the load, then drive as far as I could that night without falling asleep at the wheel, only to wake up and do it again the next night.

Thankfully, last night (or early this morning), I made it to the West Memphis, AR operating center, where I had to stop to visit the various management personnel that I'll be dealing with for the foreseeable future. I haven't gone in just yet, since I want to be ready to leave as soon as I come out of the OC, but I hope that the meeting goes well. I have a little over 350 miles left to drive, so I can't hang out too long; my delivery has to be made by midnight central time tonight, so I can't leave much later than 3PM without pushing my luck.

At least I'm picking up plenty of miles along the way. I did over 600 yesterday, counting the time before and after my break. I have no idea where I'm going next, but since I haven't been home in about three weeks and my hazmat license is waiting for me back at my parents' house, they're probably going to start routing me home. I don't know how they're going to do that, since there may or may not be a direct route, but I'm sure something will work out. Anyway, I've gotta get going; time is running short here.

No comments:

Post a Comment