Monday, June 15, 2009

Knoxville, TN - Oops I did it again

After spending the entire weekend in a hotel under the assumption that I just had to deliver to a place five miles up the road this morning, I came back to the truck at about 7:30 only to find that I'd been taken off that load and assigned something else. That's definitely not a good thing, since when I called yesterday morning, I was under the assumption I still had that delivery in Charlotte; had I been told that wasn't the case, I would have started moving on this load yesterday and delivered it right on time: seven o'clock this morning. The delivery window simply required me to deliver it by 2 PM, but by the time I had everything together - the paperwork, fuel, directions, and such - it was nearly 9 AM and I had to travel 300 miles, including a stint on US 74 (through a series of small towns with lots of traffic lights) and a ride through the Smokey Mountains on I-40. Needless to say, that wasn't happening.

Despite all that, and despite the fact that the entire situation could have been avoided had I just been in the truck like I probably should have been, somehow I'm not being blamed for a service failure on this load. A few rounds of Qualcomm tag later and I was first told that they were going to stay late to take me, then given a second message saying that they rescheduled it for tomorrow morning at 8 AM. The latter message left me slightly confused, since they (allegedly) open at 7; I was advised to try at seven and just hope for the best.

Thus I'm here in Knoxville with roughly 16 hours to kill. I'll probably head out of here around 6 to try arrive just after 7; it's about 60 miles away. In non-numeric terms, that means I have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn if I want to get breakfast before I hit the road. I don't have another work assignment yet, though I'm hoping one comes in overnight. Failing that I'll just call first shift while I'm being unloaded and hope they have some good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment