Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cusseta, GA - Two flats for the price of one!

Things were going fairly well this morning. I got up a little later than planned, perhaps, but otherwise all was fine and dandy until I noticed an ever-increasing cloud of smoke coming from my right-rear trailer tires. Given that I'm on US 280 and there's not really a shoulder - it's maybe two feet wide - I kept driving trying to find a safe place to pull over. This would have worked if I weren't in such a rural area, perhaps, but instead it resulted in me losing the other tire on that side as well and the rims starting to bounce on the ground, resulting in sparks. Soon as I saw sparking I just pulled as far over as I could and stopped; I'm blocking the right lane of the highway but there's no way I could possibly proceed any further up the road. So now I have the joy of waiting for road repair yet again; they should be here in another 45 minutes or so.

In the meantime, have some photos of the resulting carnage; it's been too long since I've posted images here anyway.

Update (8:54 AM): Road repair is here, and not a moment too soon; the sheriff's deputy who was keeping an eye on traffic was not happy about how long it was taking. He'd originally threatened to have the truck impounded if the guy hadn't arrived by 8:30 but apparently thought otherwise somewhere along the line. How here's hoping it'll take a relatively short time for them to replace all that mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment