Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Laredo, TX - Laredo, we have a problem

Yesterday I felt something was a bit ... wrong with the truck. I couldn't quite place it, and part of it could have simply been fatigue messing with my mind, but I did a particularly thorough pre-trip. I found a few relatively minor things - my cab's air bags went flat and I appear to have a slow coolant leak - but I had one major problem: a chip in my driver's side steer brake drum. Damage to the brakes is an out of service item, but even so, I'm not about to take a chance with the brakes after that tow truck incident in California.

Since I was on a load that I had to pick up by noon, I just picked that up here in town, then came back for the repairs. It took a while for them to get the truck into the shop; by the time it was done, it was too late in the evening for further driving to be worthwhile. This leaves me about 1,150 miles to go and two days to get there. I've a pretty good idea of where I'll be parking tomorrow, since it's almost exactly 660 miles away and would leave me just under 500 to go on Friday. The downside, though, is that I'll likely need to wake up far earlier than I'd like tomorrow to ensure I get to that truck stop at a reasonable hour. I really am getting sick of only being able to manage four to six hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment