Monday, April 20, 2009

Charlotte, NC - Back to the frozen north

I've been neglecting this blog lately. For that, I apologize. Since I'm not entirely sure when I last updated this thing and I'm too tired (read: lazy) to go back and look, I'll instead summarize last night and today.

Last night I had the displeasure of delivering yet another Procter and Gamble load. I've really started to dislike hauling their freight, since they've become increasingly anal about load requirements. As such, I had to give my name and other information three separate times just to be allowed to drop a loaded trailer. It didn't help my mood that there was exactly one other driver on the yard who ended up in my way twice. :p At least they allowed me to park there while waiting for my next assignment.

I finally got assigned something around noon today. I needed to get an empty trailer from P&G, so I went in, was assigned one to pick up... that had considerable damage to the gasket on one of the doors, ensuring the thing would leak badly in the rain. I didn't want to deal with the guards again, so I just took it, went through the Charlotte OC, dropped it off for repair, and grabbed another empty. I sent in multiple messages telling ops what I was doing, including one that should override whatever they're doing up there, plus called in to ensure I was assigned the trailer I was taking. That's all well and good, at least until I got to the gate. The guard said, among other things, "Your DBL screwed you over. That trailer's staying here on this yard." I then had to back up about a hundred feet, forcing another guy out of the way, to call in and find out why the hell something I'd confirmed twice wasn't taken care of. Five minutes later, it was resolved and I was on the way.

The rest of the afternoon was, thankfully, uneventful. I dropped the empty trailer, picked up my next load, and came back here to Charlotte. Time is going to be against me the next two days, though: I have about three hours to spare on this load, at best, assuming everything goes well. That's three hours for anything and everything, inculding food or fuel stops. I'll be filling up before I leave here, but I'll likely need to top off somewhere along the way, since I'd be uncomfortably low on fuel by the time I arrive at the consignee. It doesn't have to arrive until 10 AM Wednesday, but I'll be fighting some traffic on the way, taking secondary routes for much of my travel through Ohio, and potentially dealing with snow once I get into Michigan. The city I'm delivering to has an 80% chance of snow Tuesday night and will only be in the upper thirties by the time I get there Wednesday.

To make all this happen, though, I need to start snoring. I have to wake up in a little over six hours and be driving shortly after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment